SAARC Film Festival 2014
||The SAARC Film Festival held in Colombo, has over the last three years gained momentum for promoting some of the best films from the SAARC Region. The SAARC Film Festival showcases the best of films from the region, nominated by the respective Member States. A reputed panel of adjudicators select the best films, and awards are given as incentive to continue producing good films for the region. The SAARC Cultural Centre, in keeping with its mandate of promoting culture in the region through different modes of art, will once again showcase films from the region as cultural expressions at its forthcoming SAARC Film Festival. The SAARC Film festival in Colombo, marks an event unique to the region, where through the medium of cinema, the festival has become a forum of people to people interaction, as well as the understanding and savouring of culture through the medium of cinema, where the films from the different SAARC Countries, are not merely a tool of entertainment, but rather one of cultural awareness as well as something that would convey an inherent message indigenous to a particular member country of SAARC and to a particular region of the world. The Film Festival will give all member states an opportunity to screen some of the best films from the region.
The SAARC Film Festival will aim to provide a platform for exchange of ideas and shared points of view from film directors from the Region. Cinema is a form of art, and today with easy accessibility of advanced digital knowledge this medium of cinema has become very powerful. The SAARC Region has produced some films with a standard of excellence. In 2014, the SAARC Film Festival will focus on feature and short films first screened AFTER May 2012, from all member states, inviting directors of these movies for workshops as well as recognizing the best movie- feature film/Short Film screened within the stipulated time frame.
Call for Films:
There will be two open categories at the SAARC Film Festival this year. The SAARC Cultural Centre calls for films from all Member States.
- All Member States are required to nominate Two (2) Feature Films, as well as TwoShort Films (not documentaries) for submission to the SAARC Film Festival 2014.
- The qualifying year of screening should be Two Years Before May 2014- implying any film screened AFTER May 2012. This applies for both Feature and Short Films.
- A Short Film is defined as a SHORT FICTIONAL FILM for any duration UNDER 30 minutes. Documentary Films WILL NOT be considered in this category. (A Separate Festival of Documentary Films will be organized by the SAARC Information Centre, Kathmandu).
- As the aim of this SAARC Film Festival is to promote culture and embrace unity amidst diversity of culture that is shared among the SAARC Member States, films nominated should aim to promote culture, foster friendship, and cultural harmony between Member States and not showcase films that would in any way be prejudicial to another Member State. Films that are prejudicial to another country, or that would highlight issues that would not be in keeping with the aim of the festival, will be disqualified.
- The films nominated will be eligible for the ‘SAARC Best Feature film Award’, and the Best Short Film Award. A Silver and a Bronze medal will also be awarded in the feature film category. Awards for Best Actor/Actress will also be given. The SAARC Film Award is an initiative by the SAARC Cultural Centre to promote films within the region, and to give film directors an incentive to focus on themes within the region. Best films from the region will be judged by an international jury of professionals.
The films nominated will be screened in all other member states.
The festival will take place at the National Film Corporation Cinema over a period of 5 days from the 20th– 25th of May 2014. The Festival will also include a workshop with well-known directors.
Nominations should be accompanied by a duly filled form, which is attached to this concept note.
- All member states are required to nominate 2 feature films, and 2short films to represent the country.
- All nominated films have to be accompanied at stage of nominations with a duly filled form of participation. ( please see attached)
- Feature films and Short Films nominated by the member state should have been screened AFTER May 2012.
- Acceptable screening format is 35mm Dolby/DTS System, Cinemascope wide screen
- Films submitted in languages other than English must be subtitled in English. The films will be disqualified if there are no sub titles.
- Please ensure that films submitted are not defective, and are labelled correctly including running time.
- As the aim of the festival is to promote culture in the region, new trends and ideas, there are no restrictions on themes and topics. However films nominated should aim to promote culture, foster friendship, and cultural harmony between Member States and not showcase films that would in any way be prejudicial to another Member State. Films that are prejudicial to another country, or that would highlight issues that would not be in keeping with the aim of the festival, will be disqualified.
- All films will be sent to the local public performance board for censorship prior to screening at the festival in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- A DVD copy for censorship clearance should be submitted no later than the 2nd of May 2014.
- Member States must send in names of nominated films, together with running times and names of Directors,on the duly filled form no later than the 2nd of May 2014.
- Member States must deliver final format as indicated for festival screening no later than 13th of May 2014
- For publicity purposes, please also include Press Kit with photos stills, b) Headshots of Directors, c) Biography of Directors, d) Film trailers, clip reels, posters, post cards if available. e) Film reviews – to be sent in together with the names of the nominated films. (Information could also be e mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,programme@localhost/saarc_old)
- Directors of the nominated feature films and documentaries are also invited to participate at the Festival and workshops.
- Local hospitality and local transport will be provided for all participating Directors and 2 other artists by the SAARC Cultural Centre.
- Participants will be provided hotel accommodation on a full board basis to stay in Colombo.
- Airfare of participants ( i.e Directors and other artists of films) has to be borne by nominating Member State as per SAARC practice.
- Nominations with necessary details as requested need to be sent through the relevant Ministry concerned, via the Foreign/External Affairs Ministries in the Member States to the SAARC Secretariat.
- Arrangements have to be made for submission of movie in its required format for screening through the relevant High Commission/embassies in Sri Lanka. The SAARC Cultural Centre will assist in all arrangements.